Alice Fisher, Miriam Fisher, Greg Garre, and Melissa Arbus Sherry honored as the area’s best legal talent in their respective practice areas.
Latham’s White Collar Defense & Investigations Practice has earned a global reputation for consistently handling the most complex, highest-stakes investigations, trials, and enforcement matters.
With a formidable roster of experienced defense lawyers, many of whom were senior prosecutors or government officials, we regularly navigate and resolve high-profile investigations on behalf of a wide range of corporations, financial institutions, boards of directors, and individuals. With a presence in all the major regulatory, financial, and commercial centers around the globe, we mobilize to address highly sensitive, complex regulatory issues that pose significant operational and reputational risks to clients. We navigate every crisis by integrating with our clients’ internal teams, and working to set a strategy that balances the relevant legal, operational, and reputational considerations.
From winning headline-making trials, to investigating and defending against allegations related to financial fraud, market manipulation, bribery, corruption, cryptocurrency, sanctions, healthcare and other matters, to helping companies proactively prevent misconduct — we bring unsurpassed experience to such engagements.
Judgment — informed by deep experience — often makes the difference early in a crisis, when seemingly minor decisions can cause unforeseen consequences. From a federal agent knocking at the door to surprise subpoenas to reputation defining allegations, we
have successfully counseled myriad clients through a range of crises. Our first-hand experience conducting investigations and
responding to government inquires around the world allows us to see around corners and help clients avoid pitfalls.
Our global team features more than two dozen lawyers with significant prior government experience. Members include former high-ranking US government lawyers from both sides of the aisle who understand the inner workings of the government and regularly deliver results that dramatically reduce our clients’ legal, financial, and reputational exposure. Our lawyers’ longstanding relationships with regulators and prosecutors enable us to advocate effectively on behalf of clients. We resolve most matters discretely and on favorable terms, but always bring a trial-ready mindset backed by an outstanding trial record in the most difficult cases.
Companies and their boards regularly retain Latham to conduct internal investigations related to allegations of financial irregularities, whistleblowers, market misconduct, and bribery or corruption. We set clear goals, help clients determine potential exposure, and devise strategies to assess the need for disclosure to authorities, minimize collateral damage and restore confidence and trust among key constituents. The team regularly interacts with government enforcement agencies, regulators, external auditors, and congressional committees and can comprehensively address a client’s challenges.
A Formidable Roster
Our white collar defense and investigations team includes experienced defense counsel and numerous former government officials, including:
- Assistant Attorney General for the US Department of Justice’s (DOJ) Criminal Division
- Acting Assistant Attorney General and Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the DOJ’s Criminal Division
- Chief of the Securities & Commodities Fraud Task Force of the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York
- Director of DOJ’s Enron Task Force
- More than 20 Assistant US Attorneys
- Head of Fraud Division of the UK Serious Fraud Office
- Associate Director of Enforcement of the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Chief Trial Attorney in the Division of Enforcement of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission
- Two Deputy White House Counsel
- Associate Deputy Attorney General in the US Department of Justice, Office of Deputy Attorney General
- Director for COVID-19 Fraud Enforcement in the US Department of Justice